Congress Hall. The seat of government was moved from New York City to Philadelphia in December 1790. Philadelphia was never meant to be the permanent capital; it was the place-holder while the permanent site for our capital was prepared on the left bank of the Potomac River. This plaque on the east face of Congress Hall outlines a few of the landmark events that occurred within its walls during the 1790s. The Liberty Bell would have rung out from the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) just a few paces away. Today these structures are pilgrimage sites of our constitutional republic, and are managed by the National Park Service in Independence National Historical Park.
Photos and text © Gleaves Whitney 2005