The Real-Time Evaluation Memo: A Tool for Enabling Evaluative Thinking and Learning in Foundations and Nonprofits
· Real-time evaluation memos provide data-based feedback in a timely manner to inform decision making.
· Memos must be concise and include both data and expert synthesis and interpretation.
· The foundation must have a learning culture if the memos are to most useful; there must be time to reflect on the content and implications.
· The balance between data quality and timeliness must be managed and will be dependent on the topic.
· While useful for program management, these memos do not provide the kind of summative information that board members and other stakeholders may require.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 International License.
Hwalek, M., & Grcich Williams, M. (2011). The Real-Time Evaluation Memo: A Tool for Enabling Evaluative Thinking and Learning in Foundations and Nonprofits. The Foundation Review, 2(3). https://doi.org/10.4087/FOUNDATIONREVIEW-D-10-00024
Nonprofit Administration and Management Commons, Public Affairs, Public Policy and Public Administration Commons