· The purpose of this article is to help foundations in their accountability and transparency efforts by sharing lessons from one foundation’s journey to develop a scorecard.
· A commitment to funding and sharing the results from rigorous evaluations set the tone for Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) accountability.
· The Scorecard is a powerful tool for RWJF to set goals, track organizational effectiveness, and motivate responses to shortcomings.
· Foundations can tailor their scorecard to include what best serves their needs.
· With its Scorecard, RWJF found that comparative and quantitative measures are the most powerful forces to motivate change.
· Setting targets motivates staff to focus their efforts on certain areas and make improvements.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.
Colby, D. C., Fishman, N. W., & Pickell, S. G. (2011). Achieving Foundation Accountability and Transparency: Lessons From the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Scorecard. The Foundation Review, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.4087/FOUNDATIONREVIEW-D-10-00031