· The Texas High School Project (THSP) was created in 2003 as a public-private alliance to support education reform across the state.
· This article focuses on the pivotal role of philanthropy within the THSP alliance to create early college high schools (ECHS).
· The model has been scaled at different levels to produce direct, affordable pathways for students to both attend college and attain skilled careers.
· The ECHS schools have higher test scores, greater credits earned, and reduced dropouts rates compared to traditional schools.
· Foundations with a track record for supporting successful work can increase the overall commitment to joint projects and attract additional members and support to an alliance.
· Lessons for successful partnerships include investing in time together, managing the partnership through one organization, and using data for decision-making.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.
Zavadsky, H. (2011). Creating and Scaling Innovative School Models Through Strategic Partnerships. The Foundation Review, 3(3). https://doi.org/10.4087/FOUNDATIONREVIEW-D-11-00009